The Ultimate Guide to Boulder Elopements
Are you thinking about planning an elopement near Boulder, Colorado? This guide has everything you need to know, including amazing elopement locations, Boulder elopement packages, and lots more!
- The Ultimate Guide to Boulder Elopements
- 5 reasons why Boulder, Colorado is a great place to elope
- Best places to elope in Boulder, Colorado
- Choosing when to elope in Boulder
- Instagram worthy Boulder Airbnbs
- Where to have your Boulder elopement reception
- Boulder Elopement Vendors
- Nearby hikes for your Boulder Colorado elopement
- Boulder elopement photography packages
- Are you planning a Boulder elopement or microwedding?
- I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
- Get in touch and let’s chat about your vision!
- Get more elopement and microwedding info here!
- Or check out more elopement planning resources…
5 reasons why Boulder, Colorado is a great place to elope
- The beautiful scenery is definitely one of the best things about eloping in Boulder! There are so many amazing locations with mountain views, lakes, lush greenery, or even red rocks! Check out some of the many places to elope in Boulder listed below.
- Many locations are very accessible, including in the winter. If you’re nervous about having a winter elopement in Colorado because of unpredictable access issues in the mountains, Boulder is a great place to consider eloping!
- Boulder has many dog-friendly locations if you’re planning to have a dog-friendly elopement.
- If you’re coming from out of state, travel will be easy! Denver International Airport is less than 1 hour from Boulder, CO.
- Restaurants, bars, shopping, activities, and more! Boulder has lots of fun things to do to keep you and any friends or family entertained.
Best places to elope in Boulder, Colorado
Lost Gulch Overlook
Lost Gulch overlook is a very popular location just outside of Boulder with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. While it is located right off of the Flagstaff road parking area, this spot is very rocky so it’s not ADA accessible.
Because this location is so popular, I highly recommend a sunrise elopement. There will still be some people around but it won’t be nearly as crowded as later in the day.
The Sunrise Amphitheater is a location that you can reserve through Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks here. The views are great from this location, and because you can reserve it, you are guaranteed privacy!
You can reserve this spot for either one hour or 3 hours, and the cost varies depending on whether you are a resident of Boulder or not. The fee for one hour is $100 for residents of Boulder and $150 for non-residents. The fee for 3 hours is $300 for residents and $400 for non-residents.
Brainard Lake is one of the most popular recreation areas near Boulder. It is located west of Boulder, near Ward, Colorado. There are some beautiful lakes that you can hike to, in addition to Brainard Lake itself which is an accessible location. Entry fees are $12 per vehicle.
A couple of things to note about this location however. First, because of the popularity of this location, I only recommend it for elopements or microweddings with just a few guests. I also highly recommend going on a weekday.
Also, note that the road up to the main recreation area at Brainard Lake is closed during the winter months, which can start in October and last until late June sometimes! In the winter, you can hike or snowshoe in (depending on conditions) from the lower gate, which is about 5 miles round trip to Brainard Lake.
Chautauqua Park was named a National Historic Landmark in 2006 and is a very popular place to visit in Boulder due to its beautiful views of the Flatiron Mountains.
The Chautauqua Greens is a great setting for small weddings of less than 50 people. You can find more information on how to reserve this site here. You’ll need to make the reservation through the City of Boulder.
You can also explore the trails in the area for more beautiful spots!
Parking gets crowded at this location, so if you have a larger group, consider carpooling or taking an Uber/Lyft!
Boulder Reservoir is a beautiful and accessible location with a lake and some mountain views in the distance. I recommend checking out the northern shoreline near Coot Lake for the best views. Dogs are allowed at this location, and there are great sunset views here!
Other fun idea to consider for your elopement would be to rent an Airbnb or VRBO with epic views. There are some properties with great views throughout the Boulder area. If both privacy and accessibility are important to you, renting a private property is a great choice!
I also always recommend talking to your photographer about finding a location. Most of the popular locations, while very beautiful, will also be crowded. Elopement photographers spend a lot of time scouting locations and can help you find those more private, hidden gems.
Choosing when to elope in Boulder
Boulder, Colorado is a great place to elope at any time of year.
Although there are great location options at any time of year, it’s good to keep in mind that some locations are only easily accessible in the summer (e.g., Brainard Lake). Weather conditions can also vary significantly from day to day (especially in the Fall, Winter, and Spring), and conditions can also vary significantly between lower elevations and higher ones. Talking with a local or locally-based professional can help you get a better understanding of what to expect for your chosen location.
During the summer, the mornings and evenings in Boulder are pleasant, although it can get quite warm during the day. The summer also tends to see lots of afternoon storms.
The spring and fall in Boulder are not as hot during the day but the weather and temperatures can be more unpredictable. Every year is a little different as to exactly when the seasons start to change. It can snow as late as May or even June on occasion in Boulder.
In the winter, Boulder does get snow, although it tends to melt quickly in the lower lying areas which can make for more days of pleasant outdoor excursions. March tends to be the snowiest month of the year!
Because of the popularity of many Boulder locations, I always recommend a weekday elopement if at all possible. It will offer you significantly less crowds and more privacy than a weekend elopement.
Time of day
Equally as important as choosing a weekday elopement over a weekend elopement, is choosing a time of day that will offer you the best chance of privacy.
Early mornings are by far the best time to elope if seclusion is important to you. If you can’t make a morning elopement work for you two, evenings are generally the next best time.
Instagram worthy Boulder Airbnbs
If you’re looking for a great place to stay in Boulder, look no further! I’ve done the hard work for you by searching through Airbnbs in Boulder, Colorado. Check out some of my favorites below.
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out more of my favorite Boulder Airbnb listings here!
Please note that some links above are associate links, and I may earn a small fee if you book using these links, at no additional cost to you. However, all opinions and favorites are my own!
Where to have your Boulder elopement reception
Here are a few different options you have for celebrating your Boulder elopement, whether that be just the two of you or with others.
A picnic at a local pavilion is always a great option for celebrating your elopement.
Another option would be to make a reservation at a nearby restaurant for your reception. Many restaurants have a private event space option. You could also consider having your reception at a nearby distillery or craft brewery!
Private Chef or Catering
Finally, if you love good food but want more privacy to celebrate your marriage, consider hiring a local private chef or ordering catering in from a local caterer or restaurant. This is a great option if you’re renting an Airbnb or VRBO in the area.
Boulder Elopement Vendors
While not required for your elopement, most couples choose to work with at least a few vendors. Here are some local Boulder wedding vendors you may want to consider for your elopement!
Hair and Make Up
Nearby hikes for your Boulder Colorado elopement
One of the best things about eloping in Colorado is the opportunity to add in a little adventure! Maybe you’re interested in having a hiking wedding or maybe you just want to have some extra fun on another day during your visit to Colorado. Either way, there are a ton of great hiking options near Boulder! Here are a few:
- Chautauqua Trail (1.2 miles round trip, 419 feet elevation gain)
- Mount Sanitas Peak Trail (2.6 miles round trip, 1,253 feet elevation gain)
- National Center for Atmospheric Research Ramble Trail (3.4 miles round trip, 721 feet elevation gain)
- Royal Arch Trail (4.0 miles round trip, 1,492 feet elevation gain)
Boulder elopement photography packages
What’s included in my Boulder elopement photography package?
My Boulder, CO elopement and microwedding packages start at 4 hours, but when you work with me you’re getting way more than just a photographer.
I am fully invested in making sure every single one of my clients has the most amazing elopement day possible. That’s why I offer help in ways that most photographers don’t!
Here are just a few things that come with having me as your photographer, adventure partner, friend, and guide:
- Documenting your epic elopement day. Of course as your photographer, I’m going to make sure you have amazing photos so you can relive your special day again and again. There are so many special moments outside of just saying your vows and taking portraits. Everything from the anticipation as you’re each getting ready, the laughs when your dog does something silly like always, the tears as you share your commitment vows, or your first champagne toast together as husband and wife. As a photographer, my focus is documenting these candid and REAL moments of your day, in a natural way. No forced or cheesy smiles here!
- Custom elopement planning tools and guidance. Every client I work with gets access to customized planning tools, planning resources, and guidance to help make your small wedding or elopement planning as stress free as possible. From location ideas to timeline planning to vendor recommendations, no detail is overlooked. Forget the work, and focus on having fun!
- All your photos. You’ll have access to a fully-edited online gallery of your images, which you can download in either high-resolution or web-size (ideal for sharing on social media). You can also order printed products like albums, canvas prints, or framed prints right from your online gallery if you choose. Or share your gallery with friends and family so they can relive the experience with you!
- Travel included. All my packages include my travel, so you’re never surprised by extra fees.
Are you planning a Boulder elopement or microwedding?
I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
Or check out more elopement planning resources…
Hi I’m Kim, a Denver, Colorado based photographer specializing in Adventure Elopements in Colorado and worldwide! Photographing couples on the most special day of their lives is a true honor for me. But I’ve made it my mission to take it one step further than that. When you work with me, you’re getting more than just a photographer. I’m here to help you with all of the planning resources you need to have the most amazing elopement day ever! That includes everything from assistance with location ideas, timeline planning, and lots more free resources. So you can forget the work, and focus on having fun!