The Ultimate Planning Guide to Elope in Breckenridge Colorado
Looking to plan a Breckenridge, Colorado elopement? Check out this complete guide for ideas on Breckenridge elopement locations, what time of year to elope, plus more info!
- The Ultimate Planning Guide to Elope in Breckenridge Colorado
- 9 reasons why you should elope in Breckenridge CO
- Best places to elope in Breckenridge CO
- When to elope in Breckenridge
- Where to have your Breckenridge Colorado elopement reception
- Instagram worthy places to stay near Breckenridge, Colorado
- Looking for a Breckenridge elopement photographer?
- Elopement packages Breckenridge, Colorado
- Are you planning an elopement or microwedding?
- I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
- Get in touch and let’s chat about your vision!
- Get more elopement info here!
- Or check out more elopement planning resources…
9 reasons why you should elope in Breckenridge CO
- The views are epic! Of course first on the list is the amazing mountain views in Breckenridge, Colorado.
- A major airport within driving distance. Breckenridge is only 2 hours from Denver International Airport, and there are even shuttles you can take if you don’t want to make the drive yourself.
- Great elopement spots year round. One of the great things about Breckenridge is that it makes for a great elopement location at any time of year. Every season is beautiful in its own way.
- Plenty of nearby restaurants to celebrate. Another great thing about eloping in Breckenridge is that there is no shortage of places to celebrate in the area. Whether that be with a romantic dinner or a flight of local beers, you’ll definitely find something that fits what you’re looking for.
- Great places to stay. There are also plenty of great places to stay, from resorts to Airbnbs.
- Lots of elopement location options in the area. One of the great things about the Breckenridge area is that there is no shortage of beautiful and fun locations. There are so many options to choose from in the vicinity.
- Accessible and adventurous locations. Among the many elopement location options that Breckenridge has to offer, you’ll find both accessible and adventurous choices. So if you want to hike several miles for an adventurous elopement, you can, or alternatively, you can choose a location that you simply drive right up to!
- Affordable options. Another thing to consider is how affordable many of the elopement locations are. At many of these places you can have your elopement for free or as little as a few hundred dollars.
- Dog-friendly options. If it’s important to you that your dog is with you for your elopement, you’ll definitely be able to find a great spot in Breckenridge to make this happen!
Want to know more about what does “elopement” mean? Check out this post to learn about the differences between a wedding and an elopement!
Best places to elope in Breckenridge CO
Sapphire Point is near Breckenridge, Colorado and has beautiful views of the Dillon Reservoir and the Tenmile Range.
You can reserve the Sapphire Point overlook area for 2 hours for only $110, plus a $10 reservation fee. Reservations for this location open up 6 months in advance.
It’s worth noting that this reservation does not allow for exclusive use of the area. While most people are respectful of a wedding ceremony, there’s no guarantee of privacy.
This area can hold up to 35 people if you want to have an elopement with friends and family. The parking area only has 22 spots, some of which may already be in use by other visitors, so carpooling is recommended!
Blue Lakes is a fairly easy, short hike (albeit a bit rocky) with some great views and an alpine lake. There are also lots of nearby spots for more hiking or additional portraits.
It’s worth noting that the road up to this location can be difficult for 2WD or lower clearance vehicles.
Boreas Pass can make for a great scenic drive and elopement location. This location is especially beautiful in the fall when the leaves are changing; however, it does tend to get much more crowded during this time of the year.
Loveland Pass is a high mountain pass not far from Breckenridge. Right near the top of the pass is a small alpine lake that is very accessible via a short trail. This trail is 0.8 miles round trip with minimal elevation gain of only 68 feet but offers stunning views for your wedding ceremony.
Other fun idea to consider for your elopement would be to rent an Airbnb or VRBO with epic views. There are plenty of properties with great views throughout the Breckenridge area. If both privacy and accessibility are important to you, renting a private property is a great choice!
I also always recommend talking to your photographer about finding a location. Most of the popular locations, while very beautiful, will also be crowded. Elopement photographers spend a lot of time scouting locations and can help you find those more private, hidden gems.
When to elope in Breckenridge
There really isn’t a bad time of year to elope in Breckenridge! You’ll probably want to consider the type of scenery you want, as well as the specific location where you want to elope. For example, there are certain areas or mountain passes that are closed during the winter (which may last from October through June here!)
The summers in Colorado are a personal favorite! I love all the wildflowers and how the mornings are still cool in the mountains. It’s also nice to have all your location options available when all of the trails and passes are open and accessible!
Fall is also a beautiful time in Breckenridge. Usually in mid to late September the leaves will start to change colors, and the fall foliage in certain areas is really stunning.
Winter is also gorgeous in Breckenridge if you can tough out the cold! All of the snow makes it a winter wonderland.
Finally there’s Spring, when the temperatures are starting to warm up and the crowds are starting to dissipate after ski season. You’ll want to keep in mind that Spring is very unpredictable. If you’re not from Colorado it may surprise you to hear that Breckenridge sometimes sees snow days as late as June! The melting snow can also make certain trails very muddy!
Because of the popularity of many Breckenridge elopement locations, I always recommend a weekday elopement if at all possible. It will offer you significantly less crowds and more privacy than a weekend elopement.
Time of day
Equally as important as choosing which day to have your elopement, is choosing a time of day that will offer you the best chance of privacy.
Early mornings are by far the best time to elope if seclusion is important to you. If you can’t make a morning elopement work for you two, evenings are generally the next best time.
Where to have your Breckenridge Colorado elopement reception
With Breckenridge elopements, you have plenty of options when deciding how you want to celebrate your elopement, whether that be just the two of you or with others.
A picnic on the trail or at a local pavilion is always a great option for celebrating your elopement.
Another option would be to make a reservation at a nearby restaurant for your celebration. Many restaurants have a private event space option. You could also consider having your reception at a nearby distillery or craft brewery!
Here are a few great restaurants I recommend in the Breckenridge area!
Private Chef or Catering
If you love good food but want more privacy to celebrate your marriage, consider hiring a local private chef or ordering catered food. This is a great option if you’re renting an Airbnb or VRBO in the area. Here are a few local options that I recommend!
Check out this elopement reception planning guide for more ideas and inspiration for your post elopement celebration!
Instagram worthy places to stay near Breckenridge, Colorado
I’ve already done the hard work for you to find the best and most Instagram worthy stays in the Breckenridge area! Check out some of these options below!
Airbnb Breckenridge, CO
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out more of my favorite Breckenridge Airbnb listings here!
Please note that some links above are associate links, and I may earn a small fee if you book using these links, at no additional cost to you. However, all opinions and favorites are my own!
Looking for a Breckenridge elopement photographer?
Looking for someone to help you document your special day? I’m a Colorado-based elopement and intimate wedding photographer, and I love helping couples turn their vision for their dream day into a reality!
I’d be honored to help you with photographing your elopement. Learn more below!
Elopement packages Breckenridge, Colorado
What’s included in my elopement photography package?
My Colorado elopement/microwedding packages start at 4 hours, but when you work with me you’re getting way more than just a photographer.
I am fully invested in making sure every single one of my clients has the most amazing elopement day possible. That’s why I offer help in ways that most photographers don’t!
Here are just a few things that come with having me as your photographer, adventure partner, friend, and guide:
- Documenting your epic elopement day. Of course as your photographer, I’m going to make sure you have amazing photos so you can relive your special day again and again. There are so many special moments outside of just saying your vows and taking portraits. Everything from the anticipation as you’re each getting ready, the laughs when your dog does something silly like always, the tears as you share your commitment vows, or your first champagne toast together as husband and wife. As a photographer, my focus is documenting these candid and REAL moments of your day, in a natural way. No forced or cheesy smiles here!
- Custom elopement planning tools and guidance. Every client I work with gets access to customized planning tools, planning resources, and guidance to help make your small wedding or elopement planning as stress free as possible. From location ideas to timeline planning to vendor recommendations, no detail is overlooked. Forget the work, and focus on having fun!
- All your photos. You’ll have access to a fully-edited online gallery of your images, which you can download in either high-resolution or web-size (ideal for sharing on social media). You can also order printed products like albums, canvas prints, or framed prints right from your online gallery if you choose. Or share your gallery with friends and family so they can relive the experience with you!
- Travel included. All my packages include my travel, so you’re never surprised by extra fees.
Are you planning an elopement or microwedding?
I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
Or check out more elopement planning resources…
Hi I’m Kim, a Denver, Colorado based photographer specializing in Adventure Elopements in Colorado and worldwide! Photographing couples on the most special day of their lives is a true honor for me. But I’ve made it my mission to take it one step further than that. When you work with me, you’re getting more than just a photographer. I’m here to help you with all of the planning resources you need to have the most amazing elopement day ever! That includes everything from assistance with location ideas, timeline planning, and lots more free resources. So you can forget the work, and focus on having fun!