Instagram Worthy California Airbnb and VRBO Wedding and Elopement Venues
Find a California Airbnb or VRBO wedding or elopement venue from this list of stunning properties. Plus, learn everything you need to know about having your microwedding or elopement at an Airbnb.
- Instagram Worthy California Airbnb and VRBO Wedding and Elopement Venues
- Why a California Airbnb or VRBO can be a great venue for your small wedding or elopement
- What you need to know about booking a California Airbnb or VRBO as your wedding venue
- California Airbnb and VRBO Elopements
- How to find an Airbnb or VRBO for your wedding
- California Airbnb and VRBO Wedding Venues
- More tips for your choosing a California Airbnb or VRBO for your Wedding or Elopement
- Are you planning an elopement or microwedding?
- I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
- Get in touch and let’s chat about your vision!
- Get more elopement and microwedding info here!
- Or check out more elopement planning resources…
Why a California Airbnb or VRBO can be a great venue for your small wedding or elopement
Especially for couples planning a very small wedding or elopement, a rental property can be a great option instead of renting and paying for a traditional wedding venue.
I often suggest this to my elopement and microwedding couples because there are a lot of benefits. For one, your Airbnb can serve as both your lodging and your venue. Another great benefit is that your getting ready areas are right there on site. You also have a built in backup place to go if the weather is bad! Finally, you can have your celebration right there at the Airbnb.
It’s definitely an idea that is gaining a lot of traction, so I decided to hunt down the best options in California for any couples looking to do this!
What you need to know about booking a California Airbnb or VRBO as your wedding venue
UPDATE: As of August 20, 2020, Airbnb updated their policies to strictly limit guests at all properties to 16 people in the interest of public health (for reservations made after 8/20/20). For this reason I recommend checking out properties on VRBO instead for larger groups.
The most important disclaimer about using a California Airbnb or VRBO as your wedding venue or elopement location:
Always contact the owner and get approval for your specific plans with them BEFORE booking the property.
You can message the owners, and get confirmation in writing from them quickly and easily!
This is a very important step, regardless of what the listing says, because rules can change at any time!
Be upfront and specific about what your plans are. Are you just exchanging vows, or will you be having a celebration afterwards? Is your celebration just a quiet dinner? How many people are going to be there? Let the owner assess their level of risk and comfort, and be okay with their answer. It’s not worth losing a security deposit (or more)!
It’s also important to note that some properties have additional costs associated with hosting events, and you’ll want to know about this upfront. The last thing you want is to put money down on a property, and then be surprised to learn that your wedding won’t be allowed at the property after all. This is another reason why you’ll want to check with the owners upfront!
Read all the rules on the property very carefully before booking. If there are rules, such as quiet hours or pet restrictions, you’ll also want to be aware of these to make sure they match up with your needs!
California Airbnb and VRBO Elopements
The properties I’ve included in my list below are those that don’t have a restriction on parties or events, at the time this post was written.
But if you’re planning for your elopement day to just be the two of you and the photographer, or just one or two guests, you probably have quite a bit more flexibility for this.
Many more property owners are okay with having this type of wedding celebration at their home, as opposed to one with 20 guests or more, because it is less risky for them. So if you find a property you really like that says “no parties or events,” it may still be worth messaging the owner to ask about your plans if it will just be you two and the photographer.
How to find an Airbnb or VRBO for your wedding
When looking for a property to use as your California wedding venue or elopement location, the first thing to check is whether the property has a rule against “Parties or events.”
Airbnb used to have a search filter so you could easily find such properties, but unfortunately they removed this. VRBO still does have a filter where you can search for properties that allow events, so I usually recommend starting with VRBO.
California Airbnb and VRBO Wedding Venues
Here are just a few of my favorite California properties I’ve found that would make a great location for a wedding or elopement!
UPDATE: As of August 20, 2020, Airbnb updated their policies to strictly limit guests at all properties to 16 people in the interest of public health (for reservations made after 8/20/20). Because of this, I have updated the properties below to only include VRBO properties which still allow events (at the time this was written).
*****IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to always confirm your specific plans for hosting a wedding or elopement with the owner BEFORE booking the Airbnb! Policies can change at any time or extra fees could apply for the event.
Photos above from VRBO listings.
More tips for your choosing a California Airbnb or VRBO for your Wedding or Elopement
When considering a property for a wedding or elopement, there are a number of questions you’ll want to ask yourself about the property to make sure it’s a good fit for your needs.
- Is the location of the Airbnb a good fit for my needs?
- If the ceremony is in another location, is the Airbnb nearby?
- Are there local vendors in the area, such as florists, hair and makeup artists, officiants, etc.?
- Are there restaurants or grocery stores nearby for supplies and food for a reception?
- Are there hiking areas or other activities nearby that fit my needs?
- Is there sufficient parking at the Airbnb for us, the vendors, and any guests?
- Does the Airbnb have good natural lighting for photos?
- Does the decor and vibe fit what I’m looking for on my wedding day?
- Are pets allowed?
- Are there any noise ordinances or neighboring houses nearby that I need to be aware of?
- Are the reviews good for the Airbnb? Always check these before booking!
Are you planning an elopement or microwedding?
I’m more than just a photographer. Helping couples create their dream day is what I do best!
Get in touch and let’s chat about your vision!
Or check out more elopement planning resources…
Hi I’m Kim, a Denver, Colorado based photographer specializing in Adventure Elopements in Colorado and worldwide! Photographing couples on the most special day of their lives is a true honor for me. But I’ve made it my mission to take it one step further than that. When you work with me, you’re getting more than just a photographer. I’m here to help you with all of the planning resources you need to have the most amazing elopement day ever! That includes everything from assistance with location ideas, timeline planning, and lots more free resources. So you can forget the work, and focus on having fun!